For centuries, the ancient city of Angkor was totally isolated from the Western World. Large, thick jungles covered the area, located in the center of Cambodia. The temples were first rediscovered by French missionaries in 1860, who had heard rumors from the local population about "temples built by gods or by giants.” Stretching today over some 400 sq. kms, the temples of Angkor, now partially restored, contain the magnificent remains of the Khmer Empire, built during the 9th to 15th centuries. It is one of the most important archaeological sites in South-East Asia and has been listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1992.